Permit Applications & Requirements
Attention Contractors and/or Home Owners applying for building permits:
Fees & Processing
Please allow 3-5 business days to process your application. To insure timely processing of your permit please complete and attach all necessary information. Fees may be calculated using the .
Work Requiring a Permit (Uniform Permit Application at bottom of page)
Permits and Inspections are required for the following; please note the list below is not a complete list. If you have any questions as to whether your project requires a permit, please call Building Inspection at 608-270-4260.
- New construction: Such as a house, garage, room addition, porch, deck, swimming pool, etc.
- Addition and/or alteration to existing structures: Such as remodeling, refinishing, finishing, etc.
- Basement waterproofing
- Electrical service replacement or upgrade: Such as additions or alterations to existing electrical system
- Furnace or air conditioner installation or replacement
- Plumbing installations and repair work: Such as water heater installation or replacement
- Re-roofing: Including tear off or overlay
- Siding of existing structure
- Window or door installation or replacement
- Demolition of existing structures
Work Exempt from Permit Requirements
Permits Exempt from Building Permit Requirements are as follows:
- Repairs necessary for building maintenance and upkeep, which do not exceed a cost of $2000 and that are not listed above
- Residential accessory buildings and storage sheds not used to house motor vehicles and less than 64 square-feet in floor area
- Attached and detached uncovered wood decks with floor surfaces less the 24 inches above the adjacent grade level
- Satellite dishes and antennas intended for private residential use
- Buildings and structures not within the scope of the building code
To Request an inspection online complete this form
Once you obtain a building permit inspections are as follows:
- After footings are dug, but before cement is poured
- After walls are poured, but just before backfilling
- When rough framing, plumbing, heating - ventilation - air (HVAC) and electric are completed
- Final - The dwelling may not be occupied until a final inspection has been made which finds that no violations of the code exist that could reasonably be expected to affect the health and safety of the occupant
- Swimming pools require two inspections: when the rough electric has been completed, and a final inspection after the fence has been installed
If a re-inspection is necessary because the work was not completed when the inspection was called in, or if there is a code violation, or any additional inspections are called for, there will be an additional charge of $30 per inspection to be collected before the finals are approved.