Permit Applications & Requirements
Permits may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 608-270-4275. If you would like to mail permit application with check, please make sure to inform us you would like copies and how you would like them sent. If you would like permit mailed, please provide self addressed stamped envelope to send permit. If you would like it emailed, please provide instructions "email permit to this address" and provide email address.
Attention Contractors and/or Home Owners applying for building permits:
Fees & Processing
Please allow approximately 1-3 business days to process alteration permits. Please allow approximately 7-10 business days to process building applications with zoning application (new structures). Time frames are approximate and not exact. To insure timely processing of your permit please complete and attach all necessary information. Fees may be calculated using the .
Work Requiring a Permit (Uniform Permit Application at bottom of page)
Permits and Inspections are required for the following; please note the list below is not a complete list. If you have any questions as to whether your project requires a permit, please call Building Inspection at 608-270-4260.
- New construction: Such as a house, garage, room addition, porch, deck, swimming pool, etc.
- Addition and/or alteration to existing structures: Such as remodeling, refinishing, finishing, etc.
- Basement waterproofing
- Electrical service replacement or upgrade: Such as additions or alterations to existing electrical system
- Furnace or air conditioner installation or replacement
- Plumbing installations and repair work: Such as water heater installation or replacement
- Re-roofing: Including tear off or overlay
- Siding of existing structure
- Window or door installation or replacement
- Demolition of existing structures
Work Exempt from Permit Requirements
Permits Exempt from Building Permit Requirements are as follows:
- Repairs necessary for building maintenance and upkeep, which do not exceed a cost of $2000 and that are not listed above
- Residential accessory buildings and storage sheds not used to house motor vehicles and less than 64 square-feet in floor area
- Attached and detached uncovered wood decks with floor surfaces less the 24 inches above the adjacent grade level
- Satellite dishes and antennas intended for private residential use
- Buildings and structures not within the scope of the building code
To Request an inspection online complete this form
Once you obtain a building permit inspections are as follows:
- After footings are dug, but before cement is poured
- After walls are poured, but just before backfilling
- When rough framing, plumbing, heating - ventilation - air (HVAC) and electric are completed
- Final - The dwelling may not be occupied until a final inspection has been made which finds that no violations of the code exist that could reasonably be expected to affect the health and safety of the occupant
- Swimming pools require two inspections: when the rough electric has been completed, and a final inspection after the fence has been installed
If a re-inspection is necessary because the work was not completed when the inspection was called in, or if there is a code violation, or any additional inspections are called for, there will be an additional charge of $30 per inspection to be collected before the finals are approved.