Syene Road: McCoy to Aurora
- Conversion of the rural roadway to an urban roadway with curb and gutter and storm sewer. The roadway concept includes 1 vehicle lane and 1 bicycle lane in each direction, with a median in some locations.
- Intersection improvements at Lacy Road, East Cheryl Parkway, Ninebark Drive and McCoy Road. Remaining intersection may include turn lanes and will be designed to promote bicycle/pedestrian connectivity between neighborhoods.
- Stormwater improvements.
- Sanitary sewer and watermain replacement at select locations. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The project has been split into Phases. Phase 1 construction will begin in 2022 and continue into 2023.
Phase 2 is anticipated to begin in 2024. Federal funding was received for the northern portion of Phase 2. Additional time is needed to meet federal requirements.
Phase 1 of Syene Road: North of East Cheryl Parkway to Aurora Avenue
Phase 1 construction began in September 2022. The two-year project will focus on improvements to the East Cheryl Parkway intersection with Syene Road this fall. 2022 construction will include:
- New pavement and intersection improvements
- Minor utility work
- Traffic signals will be installed in 2023
The intersection will be open without detour for the duration of the winter months, with a planned open date of November 17, 2022 weather pending. Construction will continue outside of the roadway throughout the winter months.
During the spring of 2023, road construction will commence for the remainder of Syene Road between Nannyberry Park and Aurora, as well as the construction across the railroad tracks and Lacy Road.
UPDATE: S. SYENE ROAD OPENING NOVEMBER 18, 2022
South Syene Road, between Lacy Road and Central Park Place, will open to traffic on Friday, November 18, 2022. Map
UPDATE November 23, 2022 -
South Syene Road, between E. Cheryl Parkway to Lacy Road, will be closed to traffic beginning on Monday, November 28, 2022 through December 12 (Weather Depending).
Two-way traffic on S. Syene Road will be maintained from E. Cheryl to and from all properties and businesses north of the construction. Motorists and on-street bicyclists are asked to detour along Lacy Road to E. Cheryl Parkway to access those businesses. No detour will be signed during these two weeks. A map sketch is provided with this release.
Bi-Weekly Construction Updates
October 6- October 14 - New Traffic Pattern
Additional improvements will include:
Phase 1 100% Plans
Phase 2 of Syene Road: McCoy Road to North East Cheryl Parkway
Phase 2 construction is anticipated in 2024. The northern portion of Phase 2 received federal Highway Safety Improvement Program funding.
Project concepts in this phase include:
- Realignment and signalization of the Syene Road and McCoy Road intersection
- Compact roundabout at the Syene Road and ninebark Drive/Central Park Place Intersection
- Addition of two mid-block crossings with Rectangular Rapid-Flashing Beacons (RRFBs)
A public meeting will be held in early 2023 to obtain feedback on the design and provide an update on project progress. Details will be provided once scheduled.
A virtual Public Involvement Meeting was held on February 25, 2021 from 6:30-8:00 PM to share information and analysis to date and some initial detail on project concepts. This first meeting covered cross-sections, intersection control alternatives, and lighting alternatives along the corridor. The design team received some great feedback on these items to guide the initial design.
A second meeting was held on September 29, 2021 to share more refined design details.
City staff hosted (generally biweekly) Resident Outreach Small Group Meetings My-August 2021. This time offered a smaller group setting to discuss detailed tradeoffs with elements of the design. Notes and exhibits from the meeting are provided below. Staff used the insights gained from small group meetings, larger public meetings, surveys and direct communications with residents to recommend cross-sections and intersection control to the Boards, Commissions, and Council in the fall of 2021.
On October 26, 2021, Council approved a traditional signal be installed at the intersection of E. Cheryl Parkway and Syene Road.
On February 22, 2022, Council approved resolution R-24-22, approving the Transportation Project Plat for the Syene Road Reconstruction. This document allows the design team to appraise and negotiate with owners for new easements and property acquisitions for Phase 1 of the project.
Public Information Meeting #1 and Small Group Meeting Materials
- Cross Section C Exhibit
- E Cheryl Roundabout Alternative
- E. Cheryl Signal Alternative
- Syene Road - Overview Exhibit
- Syene Road Lighting Exhibit
- Syene Road PIM Presentation 02252021
- 2019 Fitchburg Syene Road Study
- Draft_Syene_Layout Options_Ninebark to Argus_3-4-21
- Draft_Syene_Layout Options_Ninebark to Argus_updated 4-13
- Draft_Syene_Layout Options_Ninebark to Argus_updated 4-26
- Informal Advisory Group Meeting 3 Notes
- Informal Advisory Group Meeting 4 Notes
- Informal Advisory Group Meeting 5 Notes
- S Syene Small Group Meeting Slides_7-15-21
- Syene Road Cross Sec and Intersection Report 07292021
- Bill Balke, Director of Public Works, Bill.Balke@fitchburgwi.gov, (608) 270-4264
- Samantha Herheim, KL Engineering, firstname.lastname@example.org, (608) 663-1218
- Josh Vollmer, KL Engineering, email@example.com, (608) 316-0643 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>