We all use the kitchen every day. It is where most families spend a lot of their family time because we are always on the go. Many people spend their time in the kitchen when they are home, so it tends to be a place where thing gather and can become cluttered easily.
Here are a few easy things to look out for to keep you and your family safe from fire in the kitchen.
- Never leave cooking unattended
- Turn pot handles inward so they can't get hit by someone walking by
- Set a timer to remind yourself to turn off burners and the oven
- Keep stove and oven free of grease
- Avoid clutter around cooking areas
- Use potholders to handle hot food
- Avoid the use of loose fitting clothes
- Never put foil of other metals in a microwave oven.
- Do not cook if you have recently taken medication that causes drowsiness.
- If food catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pot and turn off the burner. Leave lid and pot in place until it cools.